North Richland Hills Real Estate
North Richland Hills is a city inside Tarrant County, Texas, United States, and a mid-to-high end suburb of Fort Worth. The population was 63,343 at the 2010 census, making it the third largest city in Tarrant County. In 2006, North Richland Hills was selected as one of the “Top 100 Best Places to live in America” according to Money magazine  and in 2016, the Dallas Morning News ranked North Richland Hills #9 on its list of best Dallas-Fort Worth neighborhoods. Major streets and highways include FM 1938 (Davis Boulevard), Mid Cities Boulevard, Bedford-Euless Road, Interstate Highway 820, North Tarrant Parkway, FM 3029 (Precinct Line Road) and TX SH 26. It is home to the Birdville Independent School District and the northern portion is served by Keller ISD.
NRH notably houses the headquarters of HealthMarkets. North Richland Hills features popular businesses and locations including the NRH20 Water Park, Medical City North Hills, its own state-of-the-art public library and is surrounded by communities including Haltom City, Keller, Hurst, and Southlake. It also housed the now-demolished North Hills Mall, which ceased operations in 2004. As of 2016, that site is now the new location of the North Richland Hills City Hall. In 2012, North Richland Hills was ranked at #44 as one of the Best Dallas Suburbs according to D Magazine.
As of the census of 2010, there were 63,343 people, 24,854 households, and 17,291 families residing in the city. The population density was 3,463.3 people per square mile (1,337.2/km2). There were 26,395 housing units at an average density of 1,443.1 per square mile (557.2/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 83.8% White, 4.8% African American, 0.7% Native American, 2.8% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 5.1% from other races, and 2.7% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 15.6% of the population.
There were 24,854 households, out of which 30.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.9% were married couples living together, 11.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.4% were non-families. 24.8% of all households were made up of individuals, and 8.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.54 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the city, the population was spread out, with 26.7% under the age of 20, 6.3% from 20 to 24, 26.6% from 25 to 44, 28.1% from 45 to 64, and 12.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38.1 years. For every 100 females, there were 94.2 males. For every 100 females age 20 and over, there were 90.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $63,806, and the median income for a family was $74,866. The per capita income for the city was $30,890. About 6.6% of families and 7.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.7% of those under age 18 and 4.3% of those age 65 or over.
The community began when W.S. Peters agreed to bring 600 families into the area within a three-year period as part of a land grant. Families began arriving in the summer of 1848. In 1849, Tarrant County was established and named for General Edward H. Tarrant. The community of Birdville (adjacent to what is now North Richland Hills’ southwest boundary) was named the first county seat. The area remained a rural farming and ranching community for more than 100 years.
In 1952, Clarence Jones began to subdivide his 268-acre (1.08 km2) dairy farm into a suburban addition in the area that is now Cummings Drive. In 1953, the North Richland Hills Civic League sought to have the area annexed to Richland Hills, then voted to form their own city when annexation was denied. An election was held, and the 268 acres (1.08 km2) of the Jones Farm, with a population of 500, became officially incorporated as the City of North Richland Hills.
The first section of streets in North Richland Hills was named for the local families. The second section, which was added in 1954, was named for automobiles. There were 188 homes in the first part of the subdivision, which was restricted to brick and masonry construction.
By 1957, the North Richland Hills’ boundary was within 2 miles (3 km) of Smithfield, and by 1960 Smithfield had been annexed to North Richland Hills. In 1960, the population of North Richland Hills was beginning to rise at 8,662 residents, with that number more than doubling to 16,514 by 1970. The city’s population continued to grow at a rapid pace with the 1980 census at 30,592 and the 1990 census reflecting 45,895. In 2000 the population was 55,635, rising to 63,343 at the 2010 census.
Do you want to make North Richland Hills as one of the Best Dallas Suburbs according to D Magazine your next home? We can help!