Cleburne Real Estate
Cleburne is a city in and the county seat of Johnson County, Texas, United States. As of the 2010 census the population was 29,337. The city is named in honor of Patrick Cleburne, a Confederate general. Lake Pat Cleburne, the reservoir that provides water to the city and surrounding area, is also named after him.
Cleburne is Johnson County’s third county seat. It was formerly known as Camp Henderson, a temporary Civil War outpost from which Johnson County soldiers would depart for war (most of them would serve under General Cleburne). The city was formally incorporated in 1871.
In August 1886 the Texas Farmers’ Alliance met at Lee’s Academy and adopted a seventeen-point political resolution, commonly known as the Cleburne Demands, which was the first major document of the agrarian revolt occurring at the end of the late nineteenth century.
Cleburne was primarily an agricultural center and county seat until the Santa Fe Railroad opened a major facility there in 1898. During this time the population boomed, as it became a sizable city for the area with over 12,000 residents by 1920. The Chicago, Texas and Mexican Central Railway connected Cleburne to Dallas in 1882. Two other railroads had terminals in Cleburne. The Dallas, Cleburne, and Southwestern Railway completed a route to Egan in 1902, and the Trinity and Brazos Valley, nicknamed the ‘Boll Weevil,’ operated from Cleburne from 1904 to 1924.
Cleburne is on the fringe of the Dallas–Fort Worth metroplex. Growth in the area can be primarily attributed to suburbanization. It is the second most populous city in Johnson County (slightly less populous than Burleson).
The City of Cleburne Parks and Recreation Department maintains Splash Station, a small water park for people of all ages.
The 96-acre (390,000 m2) Cleburne Sports Complex contains seven baseball/softball fields, two football fields, and twenty soccer fields.
The Depot at Cleburne Station is a 1,750 seat baseball stadium, home to the Cleburne Railroaders of the American Association of Independent Professional Baseball.
Plaza Theatre Company is a 158-seat theatre-in-the-round which operates year-round in Cleburne’s historic downtown. The troupe provides family-friendly musicals and comedies and has been the recipient of numerous awards for theatrical excellence since opening in November 2006.
The Johnson County Chisholm Trail Museum is an outdoor museum located in the western part of Cleburne at the site of Wardville, the original county seat of Johnson County, established in 1854. The original courthouse is there and is the oldest log courthouse in Texas. There is a one-room schoolhouse, a jail with the original iron doors from the Wardville jail, a blacksmith shop, an original mule barn, and a restored stagecoach from two early John Wayne movies. There is also the Big Bear Native American Museum. It was recently named as one of Texas’ top 10 open-air museums.
Cleburne State Park is in a hilly area 12 miles (19 km) west of the city center. It has fishing in Cedar Lake, camping, swimming, and hiking trails.
Thinking of living in a beautiful place in Cleburne? We can help you find your dream home here!
By Loadmaster (David R. Tribble)This image was made by Loadmaster (David R. Tribble)Email the author: David R. TribbleAlso see my personal gallery at Google Photos – Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=11778410